06 June 2011

Surprise in Dryer Vent!!

Last week, as my son and I were doing some yard maintenance, and I was deliberating on from which bunch of hostas I should dig to provide a plant for a friend, I looked up to discover grasses emerging from the external vent to my dryer.  I called over my son and he, since he had on his gardening gloves, carefully removed what we determined to be a small bird's nest from our vent.  It can't have been there long and there were no eggs in it.



Lo and behold, our neighbour's dryer vent had one too!  So, M removed the nest from theirs as well.  The flapper had been lifted up to allow for access.  Hopefully, they will find a new nesting site.  One that doesn't involve house vents!

Word of advice, check your vents.  It is mating season for the local birds but your vent is not a good nesting site.  It can be a fire hazard to your home too if they nest in a dryer vent as these did.

7 comments:

Tara Dillard said...

This is priceless.

Learn something EVERYDAY.

Thanks for passing it along.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

Lona said...

Well that is a new one. LOL! I have never saw any try to nest in a dryer vent before. I wonder if that would be a fire hazard?

Linda said...

Birds will make their nests in the most unusual places. Glad you discovered before any eggs were laid.

tina said...

Hi Shirley, Great advice on the dryer vents. Trace Atkins, a big country star who lives not far from me (actually about 2 hours) just had his whole mansion burn down due to a dryer fire and I think it was the vent. This is scary stuff having birds build nests in the vent area. Glad you found the nest and your neighbor found theirs too. I wonder if it was a little wren? At any rate it is gone now. Thanks so much for your kind words about my dog BJ.

Rambling Woods said...

I bet it was a house sparrow...the pick all kinds of places near homes...

Melanie J Watts said...

Wow! I'm going to check my dryer vent right now. Thanks Shirley.

Yvonne said...

Birds pick what works for them, they have no idea the nest will be cooked until it's too late. I've heard of birds nesting in dryer vents lots of times, so they always must be checked.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...