30 September 2015

Keep Your Garden Fresh with Autumn Blooms


It's something we, as gardeners, sometimes forget.  We are so excited to see spring and summer blooming flowers that we can overlook autumn bloomers.  Is it that we are then tired, just as those annuals that linger but look distraught after a hot summer?  Do we forget our love of gardening as life gets busy, school is back in and vacation is over?  I know some days I look at my planters, the annuals drooping and withered, blooms spent; and I want to yank out the spent annuals and just be done with it.  That is until I go to the garden centre again or visit a botanical garden.   Then the yearn for gardening is renewed.  I've got something up my sleeve for winter.  Just wait and see! ;)

Well, in case this describes you too, here's some inspiration to remind you gardening season doesn't have to be over.    


Clockwise from upper left:  Echinacea, Gaillardia, Rudbeckia possibly "Goldsturm' variety (perennial brown-eyed Susan), annual garden mum, a mixed bed of Rudbeckia, possibly Goldsturm and Autumn Colours.  Some of the above photos were taken on the grounds of the Muttart Conservatory, others at a local greenhouse and my garden.


Perennials from left to right:  Stonecrop/sedum Autumn Joy, Aconitum (Monkshood), Toad Lily


Left to right above:  Sunflowers, Shasta Daisy, and container of succulents.

And don't forget the flowering kales:


What do you do in the garden at the end of summer?  Do you plant fall blooming annuals?  Change out your pots with kale and mums?  Please share.  I could use some more inspiration.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...